Eating for Your Ear Health
DID YOU KNOW THAT WHAT YOU EAT CAN AFFECT YOUR EAR HEALTH?
Our diet affects every aspect of our bodies including our ears.
Foods that help us keep our ears healthy include those that include:
- Potassium. Potassium regulates fluids in the body and these fluids are necessary for the ear to function correctly. Bananas, oranges, mangoes and potatoes can be good sources of potassium. How about making some sweet potatoes as a holiday side dish?
- Magnesium. Magnesium is important for neuroprotection and blood flow. The ear requires oxygen to be brought to it by the blood in order for the hair cells to survive so blood flow is important. Avocado, dark chocolate and multi grains are good sources of magnesium. Multigrain tortilla chips with guacamole in moderation are a healthy holiday movie time snack as are a few squares of dark chocolate.
- Zinc. Zinc helps with strengthening the immune system and therefore increasing our resistance to colds and infections including ear infections. Nuts and seeds are excellent sources of zinc. Add some cashews, peanuts, or seeds to your trail mix as a healthy snack for your outdoor activities.
- Vitamin D. This vitamin helps strengthen the bones in our body including the tiny ear bones which are by the way, the smallest bones in our body. Vitamin D found in many fortified foods such as milk and eggs.
- Vitamin B12, generally ingested by supplement, Folate (think green leafy foods like kale), and Omega 3s (flaxseed, walnuts and fish) round out the nutrients believed to help reduce the effects of aging on our ears.
So as you can see, you are what you eat. Why not try to include some of these healthy and tasty foods in your holiday meal planning and snacks.
We Are Taking The Following Steps To Provide Safe Hearing Services To Our Patients
-We follow the health guidelines provided by AHS to ensure safety of our patients and staff while in our clinics.
-As always, we offer MOBILE SERVICES where we come to you with (Now with personal protective equipment.)
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU
We are always happy to help you or your loved ones with questions and recommendations regarding your hearing health. Should you have questions or need more information, please contact our friendly staff today.